CALL TO PERFORM SUPPORT SLOTS AT SAISONSCAPE
– BEAUTY IN THE BLEAK
BBC Radio 3’s Late Junction programme and Art Assembly are offering an opportunity to composers, ensembles and emerging artists to collaborate with Lauren Bon’s Requiem for Waterat a pre-recorded session at BBC Maida Vale Studio in January (dates tbc).
Along the shores of the now dry Owens Lake, at the foothills of the tallest peaks on the North American continent sits an industrial ruin. Lauren Bon’s Requiem For Water has turned these ruins into a musical instrument. This durational sound sculpture is meant to leave a stain upon the silence a sonic remainder of the water that once supported life in this valley.
Requiem for Water is a composition for glacial time. The industrial silos that were built to mine Silica from the dry lakebed have been in disuse for thirty years. The once grand Owens Lake has been dry for one hundred years, the water redirected to Los Angeles. Requiem for Water is a sound offering to mark the centenary of the opening of the LA Aqueduct. It is about the presence of absence.
Lauren Bon and The Metabolic Studio walked the LA Aqueduct with one hundred mules, one year ago, and thereby drew the line between Los Angeles and the source of it’s water in the Eastern Sierra. They are now bending the LA River back into the city. With an ever expanding city and an ever dwindling water supply the profound dependency we are on finite snow sheds of the Sierra and Rocky Mountains demand a reconsideration of urban water supply. Requiem for Water is a homage to what has been lost so that Los Angeles can be gained, it is also a calling into the void, ever hopeful that sound as energy has the possibility for renewal.
To hear Requiem for Water live 24 hours a day, please visit www.kppglive.com
The support slot opportunities will provide professional development and profile for the emerging composer or group. The successful applicant will benefit from performing in a high quality professional event and have direct access to the promoter and access, where possible, to other artists on the bill. They will be listed on marketing materials and benefit from media exposure.
The selected artist, group or ensemble will be granted £150 as contribution to their travel and other expenses.
WHO WILL THIS SUIT?
We are looking for artists whose own practice reflects themes within with in Beauty in the Bleak. You will be an emerging composer, group or ensemble, you will be at the early stages of your career.
The selection panel for this call will be Julia Dempsey (Art Assembly), John Doran (The Quietus) Emma Thompson (Fat Out) as well as a representative from Lauren Bon’s Sonic Division team of her Metabolic Studio.
- You must be a British Citizen or a resident in the UK at the time of the concert series
- This must represent a significant development opportunity for you
- You must be available for the pre-record taking place within the first three weeks of January
- You will need to be willing to travel to London for the pre-record
HOW TO APPLY
If you wish to apply, please submit the following information to email@example.com
- Your artist CV (one A4 document of 2 sides max)
- A brief statement (200 words max) describing why this represents a significant professional development opportunity for you
- Documentation of two selected works/performances. Please provide short descriptions (no more than 100 words) on each work/performance in addition to links to a website where we can access supporting material via a streaming service e.g. Soundcloud, Vimeo, your own website. Downloads will not be accepted. Please ensure you provide any relevant passwords for private files.
For any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications is noon Thursday 11th December 2015. Your application must arrive by this date and late applications will not be considered. We will acknowledge receipt of your application when the call closes.